16.2.10

Friday 12 February

Fabric Technology

"You should be designing from your fabrics, not designing and then trying to find fabrics to match." - Karen Ferry

I think this how I work. I like to experiment on the stand with manipulated pieces and then design from these ideas.

Given the task to research relevant fabrics our designers use I remember seeing fabric contents on online stores such as www.julesb.co.uk/, www.my-wardrobe.com/, www.net-a-porter.com/

100% cotton velvet


Taffeta: 57% polyamide 43% cotton


Silk mix: 41% viscose, 32% silk, 27% wool




Group Work - Concept Board
We firstly started the session by talking about our designers leading onto the imagery/artefacts we had brought for our concept boards.
After displaying our work, and talking to each other about our initial concept ideas I thought it would be uself to each other if we took a step back and basically said any words that came to mind whilst looking at each others boards. 
This was helpful in looking at areas to research further.
As we all think differently, one image can have 100 different meanings.



My Initial Concept Board

Sian Crit: 
  • Can tell definite mood
  • Like reference to historical wear
  • Reference to other designers
  • Needs to be refined
Group Ideas
  • Like warm colour pallete for autumn/winter
  • old book pages
  • dead flowers
  • two-tone
  • stalagmites

    So I'm off to refine my imagery and include fabric samples for my final concept board before the deadline!

No comments:

Post a Comment