25.3.10

Role Play - 6 piece collection

While looking at all my research and design development I had a pretty clear idea in my head of what I wanted to create for my final pieces. 

While thinking of how I would present my collection I did start by drawing garments on figures, however I now understand that I should work to my strengths, and design in a way that helps me portray my ideas as best as possible.
So I began experimenting with some of my draping work and other inspirational images on Gimp.







This was my final outcome, and I think it reflects everything I wanted for this collection as well as keeping an essence of La Petite Salope (power women).
In these draped silhouettes I see:
  • a full-length semi-tailored coat at the far right.
  • linked to a draped cape covering the head and slouching over one shoulder.
  • third-from right: bustier with draped full length skirt.
  • middle: jacket with cool pleating detail near the bust with a veil/hood
I just found these really interesting and enough to inspire my whole collection.

So from this I took details to start creating front and back views in detail.




In Friday's class I presented these ideas to the design directors (members of my group) keeping the same name from my initial concept board 'Clothed With the Sun', accompanied by my colour/fabric board. 

I then showed them my technical drawings for the garments I was going to make.




Although I didn't really get much feedback from my peers in terms of altering things, I was asked some good questions about my final garments e.g. 'how are they going to get in and out of the draped piece,"
so I want to carry out more research on fastenings used for sheer fabrics and draped pieces. 
While looking at La petite salope's clothes from images it was difficult to see what fastenings they use, however on Julesb.com I saw that they use visible zips in the back of their dresses which are not seen in front-view images.
I, however don't find these aestheitcally pleasing so I'm going to look at more clothing,sewing/draping books etc. to see what would be most suitable for the look I want.  

I really found it useful to talk about my ideas out loud as I think it made it clearer in my head of what I wanted to achieve by the end of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment