12.3.10

Colour/Fabric Board


My colour pallette has been inspired by the Antelope Canyon which lies on Navajo land in Southwest America.

I found some amazing images of the gorges a while ago on www.environmentalgraffitti.com

It has been typecasted as one of the worlds greatest 'natural art galleries'.
It has been formed over thousands of years by the gradual wear of water rushing through rock. People are said to have lost themselves in the wonderful play of light and patterns that captivate its many visitors each year.
I would love to go and experience the Canyon myself one day hopefully before its worn away.


Antelope Canyon
Slot canyons are exceptionally narrow, far deeper than they are wide, and Antelope Canyon’s fantastic whorls and contours can be up to 150 feet tall, while being observable only by very small groups shuffling along the sandy floor. The canyon was formed by the erosion of Navajo sandstone, chiefly due to flash floods that still occur here, making this very much artwork still in progress.
The other feature that explains its popularity to visitors are the occasional shafts of sunlight that shine down through openings in the top of the canyon. The beams of light are typically seen in the summmer months. The play of light is a dazzling phenomenon, catching and reflecting off the edges of the canyon. The way the light constantly changes seems to emulate the continual evolution of the rock faces.
There is a strong sense that this is some kind of sacred space, a womb-like sanctum perhaps, and to the older Navajos entering such a place would surely have been like entering a cathedral. They would likely have left feeling enlightened by nature and in harmony with something greater than themselves. Being inside Antelope Canyon will always be something of a spiritual or transformative experience.













These images also influenced my fabric choice, I wanted to create the reflections, ripples, drapery etc. with my fabric so I looked at silk chiffons, satins and jerseys to create this effect.
And then something more structured for the tailored piece.(wools)

So I started playing around with the images on Gimp (my version of Photoshop) to create the background for my board.




Final Board



After conducting more research I feel like my ideas have developed from my intial concept board so I am going to make a new mood board to reflect where I am now in the design process.

Idea for a background...

No comments:

Post a Comment