3.3.10

Wk 3: Fri 26 Feb

Began the morning with presentations...hmmm still didnt get picked, i'm guessing it'll be my time next week now.
I'm actually ready to do it! (well as ready as i'll ever be!)


Then Karen did a fabric burning test.

This reminded of another design module where I was looking at the organic shapes made in burnt leather to create interesting silhouettes for collars and sleeves.
Which then led on to fabric manipulation with one of my favourite fabrics, hessian.
We then put up our initial colour/fabric stories, silhouette, collar and cuff research to aid us in the afternoons Design Development Exercises.



Design Development
20 minute intervals to draw silhouettes, cuffs and sleeves.

Suprisingly I found this difficult as first as I acutally didn't know what was meant by drawing a simple silhouette..emphasis on 'Simple'
After some examples of students work had been put up, I realised my drawings were too detailed for the initial design development process.

We then went onto collars and I slightly loosened up with my ideas, however with the time constraint I didn't think I had enough time to think before putting pen to paper.

We then went onto cuffs, getting a bit more confident, but had no time to add my watercolours in 20mins!!

So I went home, put up the first images that had inspired my concept board, laid out everything and just sat down and drew...at my own pace, in a peaceful environment.
Understandable if I was working in a studio it wouldnt be like this but to get my creative juices flowing and to get me drawing a lot more I felt this was a good way for me to start.



Before I started drawing I started to think more about the fabrics I would want to use to make these garments, and of course to keep an essence of my designer La petite Salope.
They are known for drapey yet structured feminine 'power' pieces known to be seen on very prestiguos women e.g. at red carpet events.

For my Autumn/Winter collection, I really loved a vibrant red wool reminiscent of a statement LRD (little red dress) I had seen from a past collection.
I also considered suedes and leathers for the tailored garment piece whilst looking at more fluid silhouetted for the other pieces of the collection (seperates or dress)


Collars

While drawing collars I was thinking more about elastic, light-weight and drapey fabrics such as jerseys and silk chiffon to create a fluid and layered look.

Cuffs


Sleeves



No comments:

Post a Comment